I've talked about it before, but if you don't know....I'm an insomniac.
One thing that this whole fire/living with my parents/commute from hell has done, is make me sleep better because I'm EXHAUSTED.
But generally I'm not a great sleeper.
What that means is that typically I don't remember my dreams. Not to say I don't dream, I just rarely recall them.
Here's some of the technicals of REM sleep and dreaming.....
Your body goes in cycles while you sleep. They look something like this.
Dreaming typically occurs during your REM cycles (the red parts). Evey REM cycle you have gets progressively longer and longer, the longest being the one right before you wake up in the morning. Although you dream during the earlier REM cycles, you typically don't recall them because they're so short. What you remember, is the longest dream you have which usually happens before your alarm goes off. You know that feeling where you're having an awesome dream and then suddenly your alarm is blaring? Yeah. That's the REM cycle I'm talking about.
This whole system gets disrupted when you wake up in the middle of the night. Your body basically has to start from scratch every time so it means rather than building up to a longer dream that you can recall, if you wake up often enough you tend to only have the shorter dreams that slip from your memory much easier. This is why typically I don't recall any of my dreaming. For me, this process tends to get disrupted 3-4 times a night.
You with me? Make sense? Ok then.
Sunday night was a bit of an exception. Not only did I dream, but I had a vivid dream that I could easily recall. In fact what started out as a normal, if somewhat bizarre dream, turned into a nightmare.
A dream analyst would have a heyday with this one. Fair warning, some of it is incredibly fucked up.
I don't remember all of the details but here's some of the key highlights:
- I was with a guy who I wasn't necessarily friends with but I knew from years ago because he used to work at the Bank near my parent's house. This was the only person in the dream based on an actual person I know personally
- We were running from a guy who was trying to kill us. He wore Crocodile Cowboy boots.
- We kept killing him, we'd check to see if he was really dead and he was but he'd show back up later on. Zombie Serial Killer?
- There was a Hispanic woman who's baby died. She was carrying around the dead baby like she didn't realize it was actually dead.
- Me and the dude from the bank hid in a School Bus
- The school bus was filled with bloody towels and sheets.
- I tried to wash the bloody towels and sheets in a bathtub
- Serial Killer dude with the boots took the dead baby away from the Hispanic woman.
- I think the baby was stillborn, not killed because it looked pre-mature (WTF brain?!?!)
- He gave the baby to a dude who looked like a Janitor who was trying to mop up all the blood in the bathroom where I was trying to wash the bloody sheets and towels.
That's all I remember and then I woke up.
I think I'm officially losing my mind.
Am I nuts? Do you try to figure out your dreams?
Followup: I did a basic dream interpretation. Check it out: